Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2000 18:47:14 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        Maelmord <maelmord@impweb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xwrapper: no modules loaded for 'xserver' service

On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 12:17:02AM -0500, Maelmord wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> After a fresh install of 4.1R today I am having a few problems.
>
>   - % startx
> 	 XWrapper: no modules loaded for 'xserver' service
> 	 Authentication failed - cannot start X server
> 	 Perhaps you do not have console ownership?

Hmm, this is an old one. First try adding (or un-commenting) this line
in /etc/fbtab:

	/dev/ttyv0	0600	/dev/console

If that doesn't fix it then it could be the old pam(8) problem, although this
shouldn't affect 4.1-R.

>  Am unsure how to resolve this issue.. I checked through
>  www.freebsd.org, and did a search on metacrawler for a substring of
>  that message. Two results were found, one dead link, and one korean
>  page (http://www.kr.freebsd.org/FAQ-kr/28.html)
>
>   - /stand/sysinstall behaves oddly. When I use the arrow keys
> sysinstall exits and types a 'B' for down.. what term settings are
> wrong?
>
> - vi isn't fond of arrow keys as well, generating nothing but beeps.
> Sure, I can still use hjkl, but prefer not to

I take it you mean when running sysinstall or vi in the console (since
you can't start X).

Do you have a line like

   keymap="uk.cp850.swap"

in /etc/rc.conf?

> Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.. some of them
> are most likely simplistic, but they are escaping me.
>
> --Chris

		4.4 - The number of the Beastie