Date:      Sat, 19 Jan 2002 14:35:58 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        David Loszewski <stealth215@mediaone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: n00b question

David Loszewski wrote:

> correct me if I'm wrong but FreeBSD systems can not get the code red
> right and other trojans, just Microsoft OS's?

Code Red affects MS OSes. It irritates Apache by inflating the
httpd-logs. It started out affecting only poorly maintained NT based
servers running IIS, which is their server. If the sysadmins updated
their servers with critical updates available back in July 2001, IIS
was immune to Code Red and many of the other worms and etc. Now they
have to install Windows 2000 and add the patch before they connect to
the internet. If they don't, they can be infected by Code Red before
they can download the patches from Microsoft.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA