Date:      Wed, 21 Dec 2011 17:48:52 +0400
From:      Maxim Dounin <mdounin@mdounin.ru>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unbalanced timer interrupts under VMWare?

Hello!

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 12:02:04PM +0100, Ivan Voras wrote:

> I have a strange situation on a VMWare 5-hosted machine:
>
> # vmstat -i
> interrupt                          total       rate
> irq1: atkbd0                          74          0
> irq6: fdc0                            11          0
> irq15: ata1                           17          0
> irq18: em0                         42122          1
> cpu0:timer                       2246291         54
> irq256: mpt0                      141402          3
> cpu1:timer                        280800          6
> Total                            2710717         65
>
> The cpu0 timer interrupt rate is 54 Hz and cpu1 rate is 6 Hz. The
> same is visible when monitoring the system in real time with "systat
> -vm".
>
> This is a default FreeBSD 9 RC3 amd64 system, HZ is the default 100.
> Unless the tickless kernel project has advanced more than I think,

It is, actually.  Many thanks to mav@ for his amazing work.

$ sysctl kern.eventtimer.periodic
kern.eventtimer.periodic: 0

$ vmstat -i | grep timer
cpu0:timer                      72769640         47

And down to 37 i/s as seen in "systat -vm".  Idle virtual machine
now takes 2 times less CPU on my laptop as seen from the host.

> this looks like a problem... so I looked elsewhere and it turns out
> I cannot get more than about 55 interrupts/s with the disk
> controller either.

Happily goes to 6k i/s here (though it's under VirtualBox and
a bit old -current, not 9.0).

(Just in case: note that vmstat report rate since boot, "systat -vm"
may be better to look at current values.)

> Any ideas? I have another host running VMware 5 but only an 8-stable
> machine in it, which works fine. Does anyone else run 9.x on VMware
> 5?
>
> The host is a Xeon X3360 CPU (4 cores, no HTT, 2.8 GHz).

Maxim Dounin