Date:      Thu, 04 Sep 1997 11:57:35 -0400
From:      Brian McGovern <bmcgover@cisco.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Getting FTP to die when route disappears

I'm currently using several FreeBSD boxes to test file transfers to routers
under test. The problem that I'm having is that if a call drops, and the
route is deleted from the routing table, the FTP client just zones out,
waiting for the transfer to complete (I had one hang for ~ 2 days). Is
there any way to make it so if a route drops (ie - ping
reports "No route to host") to get FTP to realize it's route is down, and
abort the transfer? Thanks.
	-Brian