Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 1996 09:40:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        toor@dyson.iquest.net (John S. Dyson)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, toor@dyson.iquest.net, imp@village.org, platforms@FreeBSD.org, dyson@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/MIPS anybody

> > Of course, if I'm wrong and it's actually totally trivial, then I'll
> > just go sit in the corner and cry 8)  Any chance of a pmap(9) manpage
> > detailing its features and requirements? 8)
> >
> PS, I FULLY intend to document the VM system.  The more noise that
> is made about it, the higher priority it becomes.  I am sure that
> if everyone said:  I don't care about LFS for now, etc -- then I would be
> very willing to do the docs...  Frankly, I am not in a programming
> mood right now, so it might not be a bad thing.
>
> Perhaps if DG and I produced more docs, then we could get more
> parallel efforts going.  Actually, there are other kernel hackers
> that appear to be coming up to speed quite nicely (which is really
> a wonderful thing.)  Maybe we can get the ball rolling!!!

Have you ever tried to go buy a good book on VM system design?  I seem
to remeber a day when David and myself where down at Powell technical
book store and he purchased one of the OSF manuals just because it had
a whole chapter on the VM system.

IMHO, a ``book'' written by one of the technical staff of O'Reiley with
John Dyson and David Greenman as the technical contributors would fill
a VERY LARGE void on many a persons technical library shelf/book case/
library!

I book sounds like a daunting task, but books often get created from smaller
documentation processes, and if we can get you two to write us 10 pages on
the pmap code, perhaps a technical writter can be recruited someplace to
grow this start into something larger.  Even a 10 page paper would be
well recieved at many of the technical conferences, though I am not sure
how you feel about doing paper presentations :-).

Just my $0.05 worth... you can hit delete now :-)

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD