Date:      Fri, 24 Feb 95 04:05:42
From:      justin.kuntz@ftscorp.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD and OS/2

  Hello.  We recently purchased the FreeBSD 2.0 January 1995 disk from
Walnut Creek CD-ROM.  After looking over the introductory material, I have
some questions I hope you can help me with.

  Currently we have a network of computers all running OS/2 Warp v3.0
with OS/2 LAN Server v4.0.  In addition to the OS/2 network protocol,
LAN Server supports the TCP/IP protocol via its built-in Multiple Protocol
Transport Services.  The LAN itself is a standard 10-MBPS Ethernet running
on RG 58 A/U wiring.

  The OS/2 TCP/IP base kit provides outbound FTP, Telnet, and World Wide
Web access, plus a Network News reader.  Unfortunately, this is
only half of what we are after.  In addition to outbound support of these
services, we would like to provide our OS/2 machines with a domain name
server and a local Network News server.

  Further, we would like to provide our customers with the ability to
FTP and Telnet to our site, read our local Network News, and browse our
World Wide Web home page.  Naturally, security is a concern.  I am
not very familiar with the "fire wall" software, but I do want to make
every reasonable attempt to keep hackers from accessing our data.  I do not
believe this will be a problem, since we only want outbound TCP/IP access
from our OS/2 network.

  Please correct me if I am wrong, but it does not seem likely that a
hacker could use the TCP/IP protocol to access data supplied from our
OS/2 server running the OS/2 protocol.  In other words, it is my
understanding that only the data contained on the FreeBSD machine would
be at risk.  And, based on what I have read, it seems that you have taken
every reasonable precaution to thwart hackers by encripting vital system
files and such.

  We hope to be able to use a 128Kbps ISDN line to provide a physical
connection to the Internet.

  My main questions at this point are:

  1) Is it even possible to do what I have outlined using FreeBSD?
     Can your product provide domain name, network news, telnet, FTP,
     and WWW services to our customers across the Internet?

  2) Is it possible to install the ISDN adapter on the OS/2 server and
     use it to "route" (is this the right word?) the TCP/IP packets, or
     would it be best to hook it up to the FreeBSD machine?  Do you
     recommend any specific types of ISDN hardware?

  3) How much horsepower is necessary to drive this type of service using
     FreeBSD?  Will the operating system run comfortably on a Cyrix
     486DX2-66 with 12 Megs of RAM?

  4) How much hard drive space will we need to do a COMPLETE install of
     FreeBSD, including all of the services mentioned, X-Windows,
     source code... the whole thing?  The documentation speks of a 2 GB
     disk, but acts like 150 Megs or so will do the trick.

  I appreciate your help tremendously.  If you have any recommendations
on where I can find more information about ISDN and TCP/IP connections,
please let me know.

  Sincerely,

  Justin Kuntz (justin.kuntz@ftscorp.com)