Date:      Tue, 02 Sep 1997 12:18:54 -0700
From:      Ernest Hua <hua@chromatic.com>
To:        "Chris Monette" <bmonette@cadvision.com>
Cc:        "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD w/ a cable modem

> > Hello.. I was just wondering, if I downloaded FreeBSD - would it have
> > support for a Coaxial Cable Modem Ethernet connection?
>
> 	You won't be able to install it over the cable modem, but you can
> download the files to a dos partition over the modem, and install that
> way.  Instructions for that are with the distribution you want to
> download.
>
> 	The thing will run on your system if the ethernet card is
> supported, which it most likely is.  You will need a dhcp client, there is
> one in ports, and one at www.isc.org.
>
> 	Try reading the stuff on www.freebsd.org, especially searching the
> mail archives for more details. :)

Um ... Don't know about "Coaxial Cable Modem" ... is this a brand name or
just the generic term?  I have a wireless cable modem from Hybrid (the
ISP is WarpDrive), and it uses DHCP, but the modem is apparently
preconfigured with the addresses, so my IP address is already known.  You
might have the same situation (where the DHCP is only used to be more end
user friendly, and not necessarily to change your IP address frequently).

If that is the case, just run "winipcfg" under Win95 to figure out your
own IP address, your DNS IP address, and your gateway IP address.  Using
this info, you can configure your FreeBSD precisely the same way (even
during initial download).

Ern

--
Ernest Hua, Software Sanitation Engineer/Chief Cut And Paste Officer
Chromatic Research, 615 Tasman Drive, Sunnyvale, CA 94089-1707