Date:      Tue, 02 Mar 1999 18:56:11 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@iafrica.com>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, sos@freebsd.dk, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATAPI and ATAPI_STATIC with the new ATA* driver?

On Wed, 03 Mar 1999 00:53:37 +0900, "Daniel C. Sobral" wrote:

> > The only thing that bit me was that I used wd0 and wd2 with the older
> > driver, whereas the newer driver automatically decided to use ad0 and
> > ad1.
[...]
> Besides, it is not even a breakage. It finally got _unbroken_. :-)

All I'm trying to say (and I agree that I really should learn to say
exactly what I mean on this mailing list) is that this is something
about which much song and dance will need to be made when the driver
makes it into STABLE.

I didn't read the announcement carefully enough. Nevertheless, I think
it'll be useful for any future announcement to STABLE to say something
like:

        Remember that disks are now numbered in the sequence in which
        they are found (as under the SCSI system), not in absolute
        positions as they were with the old system. For example, if you
        had wd0 and wd2 but no wd1, you'll now have wd0 and wd1.  Watch
        out for this, because you may need to change your /etc/fstab and
        create appropriate entriess in /dev/ before booting your new
	kernel.

I think that Soren's announcement was perfectly adequate for the
intended audience, but I do believe that something like the suggestion
above will help "other weenies like me" even more. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.

        Microsoft Windows NT - now sporting cutting-edge features cribbed
	from operating systems that only introduced them 20 years ago.