Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 2002 09:55:51 +0100 (CET)
From:      Tomas Pluskal <plusik@pohoda.cz>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: seeking help to rewrite the msdos filesystem

> This has more to do with sequential access.  Technically, you can
> read a FAT cluster at a time instead of an FS block at a time, and
> you will achieve some multiplier on sequential access, but you will
> find that under load, that the fault rate for blocks will go up.

When I read from my ZIP drive, according to iostat the request size is
2KB. When I run dd with 2KB request size:

# dd if=/dev/afd0 of=/dev/null bs=2048 count=100
100+0 records in
100+0 records out
204800 bytes transferred in 2.127448 secs (96266 bytes/sec)

If I understand this right, I can never get faster then 96KB/s with
sequential access, when using 2KB requests ? It is quite slow :)

Tomas Pluskal