Date:      Sun, 4 Oct 1998 01:26:03 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com, gibbs@plutotech.com, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: filesystem safety and SCSI disk write caching

> >>BTW, with softupdates, and tagged command queuing enabled in CAM, there
> >>is not much of a performance hit from turning off write caching.  I
> >>saw "make buildworld" increase from about 2 hours to 2 hours 5 minutes,
> >>and "make -j6 buildworld" increase from about 1 hour 30 minutes to
> >>1 hour 35 minutes.
> >
> >In this particular benchmark, perhaps not, but make buildworld is not
> >indicative of most I/O loads.
>
> I think it can be interpreted as showing that the performance hit is
> very large.  `make world' is mostly cpu-bound, and most of it's i/o's
> are reads (60% here).  I guess it spends less than 5 minutes of its time
> writing (27000 block output operations here).  An increase of 5 minutes
> is very large.

This is without "noatime".  Every inode read, is written, and every
directory inode is written multiple times, and all object files and
executables, as well as some generated sources, are written.

If you read the Ganger/Patt paper, you will see that soft updates
is within 5% of memory speed for most uses.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.