Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 1996 19:19:46 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, peter@jhome.DIALix.COM
Cc:        CVS-committers@freebsd.org, cvs-lib@freebsd.org, jdp@polstra.com, nate@sri.MT.net
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/lib/csu/i386 crt0.c

>IMHO, the "safest" thing to do is ensure that we do all the compiling of the
>utility programs to generate library code first, before we even touch
>anything in /usr/lib or /usr/include.  ie: (cd lib ; make depend) before
>doing the CLOBBER in the libraries target.

There's no guarantee that `make depend' creates all the utilities.  It
has to create most of them to get the dependencies right, however.

If I ran `make world' a lot (I haven't tried it yet!) then I would
remove the `make depend' step to speed it up a little.  If NOCLEANDIR
isn't defined, the .depend files are almost never used for `make world'
because `make depend all' gives bogus dependencies for the `all' target
(the .depend files don't exist when the dependencies are determined).

Bruce