Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 11:00:59 -0700
From:      Nigel_Soon <Nigel_Soon@advanis.ca>
To:        "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: screen pulsating

"Andresen,Jason R." wrote:
> I'm not sure if I can help, as I don't quite understand what your
> problem
> is.  Is your screen flickering (pulsing in and out very fast, say at
> 60hz) or
> is the brightness fading slowly in and out?

The screen must be flickering, the brightness is fine.

> have you tried reducing the resolution (lower resolutions usually have a
> higher
> refresh rate)?

I'm running at a resolution of 1024x768, the specs on the monitor say:

- Video :
Max. Flicker Free Resolution:
1024x768@85Hz
Max Resolution:
1280x1024@60Hz

I would assume at 1024x768 it should not flicker.

I will try vidtune though,

Cheers,
Nigel

> Nigel_Soon wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have just installed FreeBSD 4.0 on my computer and have setup Xfree86
> > using xf86config. The problem I am having is that when I load X the
> > screen seems to "pulse" in an out. If I look closely I start getting
> > naursious!
> >
> > My monitor supports H/Frequency: 30 ~ 70KHz and V/Frequency: 50 ~ 160Hz.
> > I have entered these in when running xf86config.
> >
> > Oh the video card is a Nvidia 128, it was listed in the card database
> > and I chose the SVGA server I think, it was the one that was recommended
> > for the card.
>
> I'm not sure if I can help, as I don't quite understand what your
> problem
> is.  Is your screen flickering (pulsing in and out very fast, say at
> 60hz) or
> is the brightness fading slowly in and out?
>
> Have you tried playing (carefully) with xvidtune?  If your screen is
> flickering,
> have you tried reducing the resolution (lower resolutions usually have a
> higher
> refresh rate)?
>
> --
>   / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org
>  / /\/\ \ | | | | | |/ /|_|_  | Views expressed may not reflect those
> /_/    \_\|_| |_| |_|\_\|___| | of the Mitre Corporation.

Nigel Soon, Advanis