Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 23:04:53 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        Eric Ogren <eogren@earthlink.net>
Cc:        David Murphy <drjolt@redbrick.dcu.ie>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world failed

It sounds like you would be a great candidate for writing some upgrade
documentation.  It is very easy to read the way you write and your years
of experience would give you some clue what problems to avoid... perfect
for a documentation writer.

I first purchased a FreeBSD cd at version 3.0 and then one at 3.3.  It
looks like I will either burn a 4.0 iso or buy a cd.  I like to buy
because I try to support the efforts.  (I also buy great shirts from
copyleft.net where they make nice donations with each purchase)

Since I started pretty much at 3.0 as a heavy duty user I am not familiar
with a major upgrade.  I was under the impression that upgrading to 4.0
STABLE from 3.4 STABLE would be as simple as following the instructions in
makeworld.html.  We all know now that is not the case.

I seem to have the BSD Search Engine working on www.greasydaemon.com.  I
have it indexing all of the content on about 10 bsd related websites and
it seems to run quite fast.  A search for "ifconfig alias" shows results
across several sites.  I think it will help me a great deal.

(I did it with htdig and it was very easy)

What I have learned while running FreeBSD for the last couple of years is
that you cannot simply read some documentation and do your job to
adminster the system.  A lot of strange and unexpected things arise and
the only way to master the system is to learn the hard way at times and
remember the experience.  And sometimes you can take the advice of
consultants and friends who know better than yourself.

My first 4 months were not easy, but after pushing through the tough
installs of SSLeay and PostgreSQL and many other systems I learned how to
cope and how to get the information that I needed.  Learning to find and
absorb the information was the key.

Now things are much easier for me, but I still run into problems.  I do
not think that will ever change.  There is always something more to learn,
but fortunately now I know many more places to find the information.

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

fortune:
Swipple's Rule of Order:
	He who shouts the loudest has the floor.