Date:      Fri, 3 May 2019 15:59:39 +0200
From:      Guido Falsi <madpilot@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Olivier Duchateau <duchateau.olivier@gmail.com>, xfce@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fw: Re: Upcoming XFCE4.14 development

On 02/05/19 21:04, Olivier Duchateau wrote:

>> [1] https://wiki.freebsd.org/Xfce
>> --
>> Guido Falsi <madpilot@freebsd.org>
>
> Hi Guido,
>
> I'm also working with Xfce 4.13.
>
> I think, it's time to switch to "simplify MASTER_SITES macro" in Makefile (D8416 [1], I alreay use this feature in my repository).

This is a more complicated change, and I think requires portmgr approval.

BTW there are also unrelated changes in the patch there (LICENSE added).
While not wrong it helps to keep unrelated changes out of reviews.

You should address the comments there which you still have not also.

I'll be looking at the review and if I have proposals I'll post them there.

> Remove all ports depending of x11-toolkits/libxfce4gui (not anymore maintained by upstream for ages).

While I agree in principle, I'm a little wary about removing ports just
because they are old.

I'd rather leave them in until they brake or become and hindrance to the
maintenance of the other XFCE parts.

I also see that they are already marked deprecated via Uses/xfce.mk, so
we could deprecate them explicitly and add an expiration date. This
procedure is what is actually mandated by the ports tree rules anyway.

> About GObject Introspection, x11/libxfce4util is fully functional [2]. I also submit several patches for x11/xfce4-conf [3], sysutils/garcon [4]. I'm working on x11/libexo too (but I wonder if this library is very useful). So devel/xfce4-vala can be remove.

Regarding Gobject Introspection, I know little about it, I simply tested
enabling the flags and got some errors. I plan to investigate but I did
not dig any deeper.

I'll import your patches in my own repo.

What do you mean with "So devel/xfce4-vala can be remove"? I'm sorry but
I don't understand that.

> With Xfdesktop >= 4.13, in Ristretto the wallpaper manager needs this patch [5].

Oh, interesting, I'll import that one too.

I really hope all these patches get integrated before the pre-releases!

> We need to create slave port for x11-wm/xfce4-session:
> - x11-wm/xfce4-session (linked to xfce4-screensaver)
> - x11-wm/xfce4-session-xscreensaver (xscreensaver is supported by default, it provides an autostart file).

Yes, I was thinking about this too. But we need anyway to choose a
default one.

xfce4-screensaver looks promising but last time I tested it it still had
some rough edges. I need to test again. I also see it's being actively
developed fast, so I hope the author make some more releases before code
freeze, so we can better test it.

> xscreensaver and xfce4-screensaver are in conflit with each other.

I noticed. Being mine a test repo I did not care too much about
resolving this conflict right now. As stated before, unless
xfce4-screensaver becomes more stable I'd leave the default as is.

> For the shutdown fallback (ability to close, quit and so on a session without ConsoleKit) can be optional. It requires manual intervention on some ports (but it is functional).

I have not had time to followup to the bug in the XFCE bugzilla about
this. I was planning to make tests these days with it. Due to this, I
actually don't exactly know what we are talking about. I need time to
study this.

> As Xfce 4.14 will be Gtk3 only (except for some applications, not yet ported to this toolkit), x11-themes/gtk-xfce-engine is obslete. We need a new Gtk theme (compatible with both versions), Adwaita ? Greybird ?

Not an expert on themes, I've always taken whatever came by default, not
caring too much as long as functional.

I see that greybird is already in the tree and unmaintained (and the WWW
link is broken). I will test that before endorsing it, but it looks like
a promising candidate.

> Guido, in your repository for x11/libxfce4menu, GLADE option should be gladeui2 (gladeui supports only Gtk2, and not Gtk3).

Thanks! I fixed that.

> In x11/xfce4-conf dbus and dbus-glib are not necessary, because it depends of gdbus (through Gio). So for some ports USE_XFCE must be adjusted. I can provide list of these ports.

I added those because poudriere reported them as missing dependencies.
The library installed by that port is actually linked directly to those
libraries. So poudriere warning looks legit. Maybe it is a case of
overlinking?

> ldd -av /usr/local/lib/libxfconf-0.so
/usr/local/lib/libxfconf-0.so:
	libgthread-2.0.so.0 => /usr/local/lib/libgthread-2.0.so.0 (0x80067f000)
	libdbus-glib-1.so.2 => /usr/local/lib/libdbus-glib-1.so.2 (0x800683000)
	libdbus-1.so.3 => /usr/local/lib/libdbus-1.so.3 (0x8006ab000)
	libgobject-2.0.so.0 => /usr/local/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0 (0x8006fe000)
	libglib-2.0.so.0 => /usr/local/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0x800e00000)
	libintl.so.8 => /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.8 (0x80074d000)
	libthr.so.3 => /lib/libthr.so.3 (0x80075a000)
	libc.so.7 => /lib/libc.so.7 (0x800248000)

Anyway which changes are you proposing in relation to this?

As a further issue, I also took a look at xfce4-mixer and noticed that
there has been some activity in it's repo, including a migration to
gtk3, so there is hope to have it working again. They have not made a
release though. Still one more thing to test!

--
Guido Falsi <madpilot@freebsd.org>