Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:09:51 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier@fillmore-labs.com>
Cc:        Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Email nagging, was: Re: Ports with version numbers going backwards: graphics/gd,japanese/gd, ukrain...

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 01:30:23AM +0200, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:
> Chuck Swiger wrote:
>=20
> >Steven Hartland wrote:
> >>Please tell me we aren't going to get one of these every hour till=20
> >>they are fix :P
> >
> >I'd hate to disagree with you when you're right.  For that matter, I'd=
=20
> >hate to disagree with someone else if they were right, too. :-)
> >
> >Could someone change the nag script to send to ports-committers,=20
> >instead?
> >Or run less often via cron (once per day)?  Or run more often but more=
=20
> >usefully, by going in as a CVS-commit time check rather than afterwards?
>=20
> Uhm, I wonder why you are fine with hourly `INDEX build failed'=20
> messages, but oppose those addressing PORTVERSION. Any crucial=20
> difference I'm missing?

One thing is that most users don't care about a particular port that
had a version number go backwards, but lots of people care when they
can't build an index.

Indeed, it's hard to even notice the former unless you look for it,
but index failures kind of jump out at you and tend to generate lots
of support email :)

Kris

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO--