Date:      Sat, 04 Feb 1995 21:14:39 -0800
From:      rsoles@SIRIUS.COM (Roger L Soles)
To:        fod@netcom.com (Frank O'Donnell), questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        fod@netcom.com
Subject:   Re: Serial ports, kermit, XF86Config

Here goes...

At 06:26 PM 2/4/95 -0800, Frank O'Donnell wrote:
>First, I wanted to thank those who have given me help at
>various stages of installing FreeBSD 2.0 from CD-ROM.  I've
>actually got the full install done and have been able to get
>X going.
>
>The current issues of the day for me:
>
>1)  My 486DX66 has a no-name multifunction video/disk
>controller/serial-parallel port card with two 16450 UART
>serial ports.  I also have a Hayes Accura 144 internal modem
>with a 16550 UART.  Before installing FreeBSD, I had the two
>16450 serial ports left at their defaults of what MS-DOS
>sees as COM1 and COM2 (the Microsoft serial mouse being on
>COM2), and had the Hayes internal modem card set to COM3.
>Both COM1 (unused) and COM3 used the same hardware
>interrupt, but none of my DOS/Windows programs seemed to
>care and they were able to work with the modem card ok.
>When FreeBSD boots, however, it sees a 16450 on sio0 and
>sio1, but doesn't see the 16550.  Do I gather correctly that
>it is more strict on objecting to the interrupt conflict?
>To complicate matters, neither the multifunction card nor
>the Hayes card let you reset the IRQ or port address.  The
>only way I can see to resolve this, besides taking one of
>the cards out, is to disable COM1 on the multifunction card.
>However, for whatever reason this doesn't seem to be working
>when I reset the jumpers per the card's documentation (even
>if I take the Hayes card out and set the other card's
>jumpers to disable COM1, the BIOS reports the two 16450's at
>COM1 and COM2).  Do I gather correctly that I'll have to
>resolve this -- maybe returning this card to the vendor --
>before I can use FreeBSD to talk to the internal modem?

You can edit a CONFIG file and delete the SIO0 -- it will
then not be probed and should find the SIO2 (COM3).  But,
you'd be better off to get a different IO card or Modem.
The SIO drivers depend on interrupts...  Generally I
put my Mouse on COM2, and Modem on COM1 -- you might
give that a try.  Your IO card could be picky about having
COM1 disabled with COM2 enabled...

>2)  I'm not sure what I need to do to run kermit.  I looked
>around the system for it; I found a directory under /ports
>on the cdrom, but it didn't seem to have a package like the
>others (I saw a makefile but when I tried to execute make it
>said it couldn't find a .gz file).  Do I need to ftp this
>package from a site on the net, or am I overlooking it
>somewhere?

You can certainly FTP kermit for a number of sites... you'll
need something like it for a comm program or a dialer for
ppp.  I ftp'd it from columbia and transfered it via a MS-DOS
floppy ( mkdir /a: ; mount_msdos /dev/fd0a /a: -- those two
command makes the A: drive availible as /a: )

>3)  I got through most of XF86Config ok, but there are a few
>things left hanging.  The manual for my monitor (a 14" Arcus
>CM-1448, which I gather is not a major name brand) offered
>handwidth, horizontal sync and vertical refresh, but I'm
>stuck on some of the values in XF86Config under Mode
>(specifically, dot clock, horiz timing and vertical timing),
>and the man page didn't seem to illuminate this.  Should I
>be plugging something apart from the defaults in here?  The
>monitor generally looks ok to me -- it's at a fairly low
>resolution (320 x something or 640 x something maybe), but
>this works out okay because since the monitor's small I
>don't really want tiny type.  The only problem I've run into
>that I don't know how to fix is that when the windows pop up
>after I execute startx, they extend off the bottom of the
>screen and I'm having a hard time resizing them so I can
>read all the commands I type.

If you're just going to use 640x480 (standard VGA resolution)
leave the monitor definitions at the defaults for the GENERIC
monitor...

>Thanks once again for any comment on any of the above,
>
>Frank
>fod@netcom.com

// Roger L Soles
// PO Box 280785