Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:27:14 -0500
From:      Kevin Brunelle <kruptos@netzero.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Printer locks system.

Okay everyone,

I am running a system compiled just yesterday -- but the exact date may
not be important, as this issue has occurred before. I did not bring it
up then because I was unable to replicate it. I am still having trouble
replicating this problem and it doesn't bother me that much. This is
just a heads up and a request for info. Well, I suppose I should tell
you what happened. ;-)

I was printing a document and my printer (Canon BJC-6000) ran out of
paper. As soon as this happened everything locked up. The music I was
playing stopped, the mouse could not be moved, keyboard just sat there,
everything just paused. As soon as I put paper in and pressed the resume
button everything went back on its way as if nothing had happened. As I
said, this is the second time it has happened -- but I have not been
able to replicate it on purpose. It has been several weeks since the
last time it happened. I cvsup and rebuild on a regular basis so I just
assumed that it had been fixed, until now.

Okay some more info. I forget exactly what was running, but here are
some things I know were:
xfce
GQmpeg
Netscape
everybuddy

[all the regular background stuff not associated with X (daemons and
such)]

I just want to know what could be causing this. For me it is no big
deal. I put more paper in and away I go, but I imagine this could cause
problems for some people. I forgot the see if I could kill the window
manager or change back to a console; so those might have been working.
If you have any ideas, or need more information I will provide all I
know. Just ask away.

Thanks in advance for all the information and ideas you can give me on
this.

Kevin Brunelle
--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins,
for they are subtle and quick to anger."