Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:07:02 +0200
From:      Pietro Cerutti <gahr@gahr.ch>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        tundra@tundraware.com
Subject:   Re: Repopulating the GENERIC kernel

--------------enig0A7240472C51E527ECFC3E11

Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> I have a production 6.2 STABLE machine w/something like this in /etc/ma=
ke.conf:
>=20
> KERNCONF=3DMYKERN SMP GENERIC
>=20
> When I do a 'make kernel', as I understand it, all three kernels get *b=
uild* but only
> MYKERN actually gets installed.
>=20
> So ... how do I get the latest version of GENERIC (that I just compiled=
 per the above)
> "installed" into /boot *without* it actually being the active kernel.  =
IOW, I want
> my kernel build to *install* MYKERN as the active kernel and refresh GE=
NERIC just in
> case I need it to recover a failed boot...

try with

make buildkernel
make installkernel KERNCONF=3DGENERIC INSTKERNNAME=3DGENERIC
make installkernel KERNCONF=3DSMP INSTKERNNAME=3DSMP
make installkernel KERNCONF=3DMYKERN INSTKERNNAME=3DMYKERN

then set the name of the kernel that you want to boot off in
/boot/loader.conf, as

kernel=3DMYKERN

I don't know if there's an automatized way to perform the same...

Hope this helps,

> TIA,

--=20
Pietro Cerutti