Date:      Tue, 7 May 2002 23:33:15 +0100
From:      Mike Bristow <mike@urgle.com>
To:        Lucky Green <shamrock@cypherpunks.to>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xterm and colour (Was: cvs commit: ports/mail/mutt-devel...)

On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 11:38:59PM -0700, Lucky Green wrote:
> [Quotes from various folks about FreeBSD's "xterm" not supporting color
> elided].

Actually, I think that TERM is broken.

What you actually want is a list of termcap/terminfo entries that
would work in a preference order.  So, instead of saying:

TERM=xterm-xfree86
or
TERM=xterm-solaris

or whathaveyou, you could say:

TERMS=xterm-freebsd;xterm-xfree86;xterm-color;xterm;vt100

and have whatever machine you connected to use the first entry in
the list that it knows about.  Of course, you'd want to have a
sensible fallback for situations where the remote machine doesn't
have this wonderful scheme, so you'd have to set TERM=xterm (or
TERM=vt100 when everyone uses a curses which does this and every
remote access application passes it on) as a fallback.

This is so obvious to me, that I'm sure that everyone has thought
of it and I'm missing some obvious flaw.  Please tell me what it
is, or I'll go bug the ncurses maintainer(s) and see if they'll
accept patches for it.

Then all I'll have to do is worry about the applications ;-)

--
You can't do maths without e
	-- David Walters