Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 22:29:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@keystone.westminster.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install

On Sun, 14 Sep 1997, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

> > Or your ISP?
> This is also not impossible; I've notice no troubles from the Win95
> machines.
>
> > Try running `set timeout 0' before running 'term'.  This disables the
> > long-space disconnect, which you may be having trouble with if your link
> > to the FTP site isn't that great.
> Tried; didn't work.
> Didn't think that was the trouble; I've been averaging between 1.6 and
> 2.7k/sec over my 28.8 link, so it's not a problem there.  It just keeps
> going along at a pretty decent speed, and then <click>.
> And I have to start all over again.

I wonder if this is the information overload bug rearing it's ugly head
again. There was (is?) a known bug with ppp that will cause it to drop out
under heavy traffic.  You might try a newer boot floppy and use the
options menu and tell it it's installing 2.2.2-RELEASE instead.

> I hope that there's something easy here; I'd rather not have to (for the
> third time) pull down a zillion files and transfer them, six at a time,
> onto a zillion floppies, and sit at my computer switching floppies for
> hours.  I did that with 2.1.6, and with 2.2.1; that was more than enough
> for me.

If you're doing an upgrade or have a supported removable disk, did you
know you can download the files ahead of time to a directory structure and
then install files from the local FS?  It takes longer than over a local
net link because of the file access but saves you some problems if the
boot floppy is giving you pain.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo