Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 1997 11:20:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Randy Katz <randyk@ccsales.com>
To:        WUSTL ListProc <wu-ftpd@wugate.wustl.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   strange things...HELP!!!

Hello,

I tried to find out how this hacker is doing it on an ISP list and they
said I was a hacker...HELP!!!

The hacker ftp's into our server as a valid user (we will cancel him as
soon as we know how to keep him out). Hacker copies /etc/master.passwd to
his home directory. Hacker modified master.passwd. Hacker copies it back
to /etc/master.passwd.

How is he doing this?

He does it fast (1 min. max). /etc/master.passwd is root/wheel 600. The
hacker's account is not grouped under wheel. /etc/ is root/wheel 755. Is
there something I'm doing wrong???

He can do it on any machine in our network. Don't try ccsales.com it's an
old 2.1.0 FreeBSD box which I just use for personal mail.

He has hacked it on FreeBSD 2.2.2 running wu-ftpd (BETA-13,14 & 15).

HELP!!!

Thanx,
Randy Katz