Date:      Fri, 03 May 2002 17:11:39 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "R. David Murray" <bitz@bitdance.com>
Cc:        JJ Behrens <jj@nttmcl.com>, Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>, Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>, Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>, bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: organic documentation

"R. David Murray" wrote:
> Sorry for dropping in to the middle of a conversation, but this
> comment puzzles me.  I fail to see how:
>
>   handbook + per-page comments from readers
>
> is *inferior* to:
>
>    handbook with no comments
>
> given that the handbook maintainers do not have infinate time
> to polish the handbook, nor infinate knowledge about the
> quirks discoverd by the community.

1)	Qualification of sources of information.  Not every
	commenting reader is adding something other than
	"First Post!  Nyah!".

2)	Classification varies by individual; to present a
	coherent whole, not everyone can be an editor.  This
	is why published collections of works have editors:
	to apply a uniform standard.

3)	Disinformatoin is not discernable from information.

Consider a dictionary created via a wiki:

o	Some people could order their entries by length, while
	others could order them alphabetically;

o	Is the Schlossen before or after the character "S",
	lexically?

o	Who checks the facts?

o	Copyright assignmnet (I guess you could "shrink wrap"
	this).

> Good comments could be properly classified and incorporated into
> the text as the maintainers have time.

So you need an editor.  I guess you are suggesting that they
would be incorporated into the handbook itself?

> On the other hand, I *can* see that it might be a non-trivial
> project to integrate the documentation system with a web
> comment system such that the two do not interfere with each other.

A web comment system will interfere.  It can't help it.

-- Terry