Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 20:43:50 -0500
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "FBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ntpd as time server?

My LAN is full of winboxs? Each one has this TSR pgm socketWatch.
This pgm checks a internet time server and resets the pc time.
Instead of 700 machines hitting the internet time server once a hour,
I would like to setup ntpd to go out to the internet time server
once a hour for a update to the FBSD machine and them have my
windows LAN boxes get the time from FBSD time server.
I could not find anything in the ntpd man page that talks about
setting up ntpd as a time server to service time requests from
other machines. What I read is that ntpd will broadcast the time
down the LAN network for any listening clients to pick and user
the time info. The win SocketWatch pgm does not work that way.
Is ntpd the wrong software product for what I want to do?
Does anybody know of something better suited?

Thanks
Joe