Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 08:15:23 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>, Dallas De Atley <deatley@apple.com>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: __P macro question

-On [20020131 05:15], Terry Lambert (tlambert2@mindspring.com) wrote:
>Peter Wemm wrote:
>> > The point is that if I were wanting to use a freely
>> > available reference implementation of TCP/IP, right
>> > now I would prefer to use FreeBSDs implementation, so
>> > long as it remains portable to my platform.
>>
>> Well, our network stack is nowhere near K&R compliant, not by a million
>> miles.  So forget that line of the argument.
>
>Willful negligence is not a philosophical argument.

Willful laziness is not a developer forte.

One's ease of porting is another man's pain in removing things from the
sources.
If you want portability, go with NetBSD, FreeBSD already said in the
past that it had no desire to be ported to Apollo's to replace
Domain/OS or any other old architectures.  You want software from
FreeBSD and use it in your own environment, well tough luck, chances are
you need to get off your butt and do what you were hired for in the
first place.

We are not talking about any philosophical pies in the sky here, this is
code, pure and simple.

Yes, we remove K&R's __P() macro support, because of:

- argument
- argument
- argument
- argument

No, we leave K&R's __P() macro support be, because of:

- argument
- argument
- argument
- argument

Where is the philosophical discussion in that?

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven / asmodai / Kita no Mono / xMach coreteam
asmodai@[wxs.nl|xmach.org], finger asmodai@ninth-circle.org