Date:      Fri, 07 Jun 1996 17:48:41 -0700
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "Karl Denninger, MCSNet" <karl@mcs.com>, grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey), hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   PONY UP! (was: The -stable problem: my view)

In message <16972.834190075@time.cdrom.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:

>Well, then I think it's time for you ISPs to start donating more
>resources to us.

I would like to back this argument a little bit too.  Quite frankly,
I'm proud as hell when you people brag about what you're doing with
FreeBSD.  I'm proud as hell when I wear my FreeBSD T-shirt.

I have bought more hardware of more weird sorts than anybody would
think they would ever need, and certainly more than I'd ever buy if
I didn't care about the quality of installation tools and methods
for FreeBSD and other such stuff.

I could have started an ISP instead, I could have made money instead.
I know I have spent time to the tune of $100K on FreeBSD instead of
doing paid work.  So far I have no problem with that either because,
most of it was fun, and most of the rest of it were just plainly
needed to get FreeBSD over a hurdle.

What I'm more than a little bit disappointed with, is the number of
quite obvious commercial entities with their relative amounts of
success and dependencies on FreeBSD that have sent an email to
-core saying, "Hi, we owe you people something, what can we do for
you in return ?"

If somebody were to be paid for doing FreeBSD work part-time, with the
understanding that "it may not be fun, that's why we pay you!" we could
get a lot of menial tasks done that simply don't get done because they're
not any fun to do in your sparetime.  Things like regression testing,
documentation, upgrade procedures...

Another alternative is to get sufficient money that one or more of the
really good FreeBSD people could actually sustain life doing nothing but
FreeBSD.

Both of these things would help a lot, and it goes without saying that
any donation on that kind of scale would result in a higher level of
awareness for the donors problems and wishes.

But even if you cannot afford that kind of donations, you can still
donate to us.  The information for donating money is on our web-pages.

How about donating $25 every time you install or upgrade a machine
with FreeBSD ?  That would still be less than half the price of any
other thing you could install, say, MS-DOS 6.22 or Windows 95...

So, guys, if FreeBSD is so useful to you and your business, maybe you
need to think about how you can be useful to the FreeBSD project.

Poul-Henning

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.