Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 2002 23:09:56 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Chris Staskewicz <cjs@math.utah.edu>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: sound recording problems

Hi BSD fans :)

Right now I can send analog sound (from my mini-disc, stero, microphone,
etc.) into my soundcard (Soundblaster ???) via the Line-in or mic port,
and sure enough, the sound comes out very clear through the PC speakers
attached to the output.  I can open a variety of mixer applications (gmix,
xmix, awemix, etc) and tinker with the sound.  However, when I try to
record the sound with programs like (audacity, grecord, etc.) I get
nothing but high pitched squelching and ear-popping white noise.  All
these programs attempt to read of /dev/dsp, the bit-rates can be set to 8
or 16, and the sample rates can be set as well.  But none of this seems to
work.  Any help???  Thanks so much!

Chris.

PS when I used Linux in the past, this attempt to record worked just fine.
I've also noticed that a lot of people are coming up with some unique
ideas of their own by piping info off of /dev/dsp to raw files and then
doing some more magic to get the desired sounds.  I'm not too savvy to
this... yet...