Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 1997 20:42:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        imp@rover.village.org
Cc:        Jeff.Kreska@MCI.Com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940UW

> I know of several people who have had problems with the 2940AU.  This
> is a different board from the 2940U or UW.  Some revs of it have lots
> of problems with reset and other oddities.  Since I don't have one of
> these cards, I think that the output from dmesg of the boot probe of
> the aha device might not be a bad thing to get too.

Right, the AU only has 3 SCBs compared to 16 SCBs (like the 787x/788x
based chips).  There are also problems with the FIFO counters, but
Justin has worked around that in the sequencer code.  Another
problem that I have seen with these controllers is rebooting into
another OS requires a cold reboot.  The work around for this is to
enable SCAM support in SCSI Select Utilities.

There may also be problems with auto-termination.  Booting verbose
will (I think) show what the driver uses for termination settings.
If the driver doesn't get the correct termination settings, just
manually set the termination in SCSI Select Utilities.

I know I've had termination problems with a couple of machines at
work (this with the 2940UW).  With UW drives on the wide bus and
Ultra enabled, the devices on the narrow bus couldn't properly
terminate it.  I had to use an inline active terminator on the
narrow bus.  Neither a Plextor 12-plex CD-ROM or an HP C1599 DAT
drive would properly terminate the bus.  I tried different cables,
but only the addition of the active terminator solved the problem.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org