Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 2014 09:43:08 +0200
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        Erich Dollansky <erich@alogt.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD CURRENT <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: service doen't get started at boottime, but can start manually

--Sig_/aElRYB/xA1rFHRA3VWWg0s_

Am Sun, 7 Sep 2014 15:33:42 +0800
Erich Dollansky <erich@alogt.com> schrieb:

> Hi,
>=20
> On Sun, 7 Sep 2014 09:03:21 +0200
> "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>=20
> > I use a service (textprox/refdb from ports, refdb_enable=3D"YES"
> > in /etc/rc.conf.local) that is supposed to startup at boottime. On
> > one CURRENT system, running
> >=20
> >  FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #3 r271210: Sat Sep  6 22:39:59 CEST 2014 amd64
> >=20
> > the service is not started at boottime, but I can start the service
> > manually via
> >=20
> > service refdb start
> >=20
> > I tried enabling rc_debug=3DYES in /etc/rc.conf but I do not see any
> > failure of the start attempt of that specific service in the logs or
> > on the console.=20
> >=20
> > Is there an elegant way to debug rc.d and the startup procedure
> > without having the system reboot (I do not have jails or VM, sorry)?
> >=20
> could it be that the spelling in either rc.conf and the spelling in the
> actual script differ so that FreeBSD does not start it?
>=20
> Erich

No. If it would be the case, I guess starting it manually wouldn't work eit=
her. The fact
is that the port textproc/refdb uses a startup script named "refdb.sh" and =
by maintaining
the port and on the way to make it more CURRENT compliant, I started with r=
enaming it to
"refdb" and it seems this is the culprit.

The script textproc/refdb uses is a bit awkward since it targets both *BSD =
and Linux
init/rc scripts and the initial rc.d/refddb scripts gives control to anothe=
r script
called refdbctl which seems to perform all the stuff FreeBSD's /etc/rc.subr=
 is providing.

I renamed the script back to "refdb.sh" by now and the service starts again=
 as
expected.  I guess the spawning into a subshell fails somehow at that point=
 when booting
the box.

Oliver=20