Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 1997 14:54:50 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: new texinfo is busted!

At 11:59 AM 1/12/97 +0100, J Wunsch wrote:
>Get me right, my emacs runs all day and night, its uptime is usually
>identical to the system uptime.  Nevertheless, there are people who
>don't prefer it as their editor of choice, and the attitude ``use it
>to read the info files or die'' would just cause me to say: to the
>hell with all the info files.  Make them HTML or man pages.  (We
>already sorta rely on HTML, see the FAQ and the handbook.)

I'm in favour.  I haven't yet seen a good browser for info, and it is pain
to get the ones that exist to even open the files.  While we're at it, it
would even be nice to have the man-pages as HTML - not as a replacement
format, but as an alternative.

With a small lookup-program and automatic conversion, it might even be a
usable alternative - I might try to create a CGI to do automatic conversion
as an experiment.

Eivind Eklund / perhaps@yes.no / http://maybe.yes.no/perhaps/