Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 1995 18:25:35 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        kallio@jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ** How to add second SCSI disk ? **

Seppo Kallio stands accused of saying:
> Maybe it is not so trivial? People do not usually ask if things are
> trivial. Maybe people have different views what is trivial and what is not

Based on recent evidence, I'd say that lots of people find it easier to
ask someone else than work it out themselves.  That's fair enough, but
answering questions like that is paid work, not fun.

> Why does the (Standalone) Install not have the command "Write Disklabel
> Now!"? Is there some technical problem? Or do you just think the procedure
> in Install is more complicated than doing it with fdisk+disklabel+newfs?

It doesn't have it because a) it's dangerous, and b) because Jordan & co.
were flat out writing what _is_ in there 8)

> Most of Unix managing is very simple and fast--if you know what to do and
> how. The problem is usually knowing what and how to do.

And like everything from cooking to sex, the best way to find out is to try.
Hell, it's a brand new disk, with no data on it - it's not like you're
dicing with death there.

> Reading the manuals of fdisk, disklabel and newfs takes more than 1-2
> minutes and understanding them takes hours.

All of the fdisk manual I read was 'fdisk -i... interactive...'.  Granted,
I've got a pretty good idea of what it's trying to do, but once that's
dealt with the actual process is relatively straightforward.

On reflection, I've done this enough that I can't claim to have an unbiased
viewpoint anymore.

> I did it like this:
>
> First: I did use Linux fdisk (sorry). I could not understand FreeBSD
>        fdisk questions.

That's fine; the tools all do the same thing in the end.

>        Maybe I did not use fdisk -i, just fdisk and got lost.
>        Create Extended partition (?) and set code 165 to the partition type
>        (convert to hex first)
>
> Second: I did write entry

Oh. One of them 8)  I can't remember how long it's been since I used a
disktab entry - disklabel -e is your friend 8)

> Writing FAQ for this is not easy. One should explain main parameters in the
> disktab entry and how to use fdisk. newfs is easy.

The 'real' need here is for a simpler disk setup tool.  Right now, the tools
are close to the data they manipulate, but far away from the task that
they perform together.  It _should_ be possible to point a tool at a disk,
and say "make me space there, slave".

I'm trying to work out whether I have a spare disk to work with 8(

>  +--    Seppo Kallio       -----             kallio@jyu.fi              ---+

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[