Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 09:46:17 -0400
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins" <dochawk@psu.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   booting away from the network

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned so far in the network/ppp
booting saga is getting the machine to boot on its own away from the
network.  I get long/perpetual pauses for ntpdate and sendmail, which I
^C away from.

Ideally, the system would find that it doesn't have a connection on
fxp0 and not try to start daemons that won't work (and perhaps start
ppp on demand and set a global variable that could be read in my
.xsession so that it doesn't start applications that would try to use
the network).

hawk

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.                     /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700         \ /   against HTML mail