Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2017 05:02:00 +0100
From:      Jan Beich <jbeich@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Time for a firefox-56 port?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org> writes:

> I've just installed the latest version of firefox and confirmed that
> it breaks both of the addons that make firefox bearable for me
> (firemacs, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/firemacs/
> and It's All Text!,
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/its-all-text/).  So I
> can't use it.
>
> I'm sure I'm not the only person who relies on old addons.  How about
> a firefox-56 port until the current problems die down?

I'm not interested[1]. New ports with unpatched vulnerabilities aren't
welcome in the tree, and Firefox Sandbox isn't supported on FreeBSD[2].
Good luck contributing upstream/downstream, switching to ESR52 or
a fork (Waterfox, Pale Moon, self-maintained).

Nightly does support legacy extensions (via pref) but you'd have to
patch them to keep up with various refactorings. Given a high churn
rate I can't maintain a port for Nightly. However, Nightly often builds
fine without any FreeBSD-specific patches. If more FreeBSD users appear
maybe someone figures out how to cross-compile from Linux, so the platform
can be promoted to Tier2 support (partially for Mozilla bug 1371159).

Beta (e.g. bug 223425) is available as patches to raise bus factor.
It may support more WebExtensions APIs.

ESR52 will be supported until at least 2018-05-08. Beware when downgrading
profile from FF56 as it may cause some data loss. However, legacy extensions
users are often "power users" thus can exercise their "power" to fix up
the broken profile with Firefox Sync help.

--
[1] Maybe try asking other gecko@ peers. I'm just a dumb volunteer with
    limited amount of free time, not your shield against Mozilla decisions.