Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 17:04:00 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Ian <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I want to help

* Ian <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org> [020403 17:01] wrote:

> Could you (or someone) expand on this a bit more?  "Bring up..." in what
> sense?  On which mailing list(s)?
>
> I recently ran into minor-ish problems with some tools and figured I'd
> contribute by submitting PRs along with patches to fix the problems.  In
> each case I decided to start by seeing if there were any open PRs against
> those tools already, so that if other problems needed fixing I could get
> them all taken care of at once.
>
> What I found instead was that each of the problems I had found had already
> been PR'd and patches were submitted with the PRs, so the problems and the
> fixes have just been sitting there going stale for months.  In one case I
> found the exact same problem reported in two open PRs (months apart) with
> different fixes available.
>
> I joined the bugbusters mailing list in hopes that would be a hotbed of
> bug-fixing activity where this sort of thing could be brought up.  Instead
> it appears to be a pretty much inactive list.
>
> I've been a programmer for 25 years, and unlike many programmers, I actually
> enjoy fixing bugs, making changes to existing code someone else wrote,
> writing documentation, and other things that most programmers seem to find
> distasteful.  But I have no interest in doing work that's destined to be
> completely ignored and unused.  (I got enough of that doing contract work
> for the U.S. government.)

Sometimes a strongly worded:

  "this bug has had a perfectly viable fix sitting in GNATS for a month
   can someone _please_ take a look at it"

what works even better is tacking onto a developer you know and
mailing them personally.  sometimes just seeing a message like
that and 100% of the viewers are like, "well someone will commit
that" and no one does. :)

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
Tax deductible donations for FreeBSD: http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/