Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 16:38:45 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Babbleon the idiot / status (was: Bridging with 3C589D-COMBO on 4.2-RELEASE?)

--3MwIy2ne0vdjdPXF

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 07:14:26PM -0500, The Babbler wrote:
> TECHNICAL STUFF:
> I'm in the process of upgrading my kernel to -STABLE from -RELEASE,
> building in debugging, diagnostic, and ddb code, and double-checking my
> IRQs.  I'm having trouble getting the STABLE kernel built, which
> certainly argues in favor of the thesis that I no longer have any
> functioning brain cells.  However, I'm bugging the poor folks on the
> freebsd-stable list about that so most of you can take a break in that
> regard.  If I get any information from the kernel debugging I've
> enabled, I'll post the information back here.

Just a recommendation, since you've obviously never done the whole upgrade
before, I recommend using a GENERIC kernel to start with unless there
are serious problems with that (you're system crashes on probe of some
device, etc.)  The reason for this is that there are a number of simple
little gotchas in kernel configuration the get even experienced people
if they aren't paying quite enough attention and so it's much easier to
just use GENERIC at first.  Later you can move on to a custom kernel.

> They are with devices I never use, but perhaps they generate interrupts
> sometimes anyway.=20
>=20
> IRQ 3:  Used by sio1 and the ep0 PCMCIA card.  This one might explain a
> lot.

This is bad.  Both of those are more or less ISA devices and ISA can't
share interupts (with minor, irrelavent exceptions).

> IRQ 5:  Used by the USB controller and the sound card.

This is likely harmless since pretty much all USB and sound devices are
PCI these days.

> I don't ever use USB devices, and I don't even have usb support built
> into the kernel. Is this a potential problem anyway, or is it harmless?

Not having the device in the kernel is probably harmless.  Personaly
once everything else works, I'd take a shot at getting USB working just
for kicks.  You can test it with a cheap ass mouse or something.

> As for IRQ 3, I've now set up pccard.conf to use IRQ 9 (which is unused)
> and we'll see what that does for the state of my system.

That's likely to fix the problem or at least help a lot.

> Still, when all is said & done I find it odd that changing
> bridge/firewall settting might possibly crash the computer, even if the
> hardware ethernet settings are silly, when this never happens without
> bridging or firewalling set.  I mean, I'll change it in the hopes that
> things will be better, but does it make sense as a possible explanation?

I suspect the IRQ problem wasn't the cause here, but you really
never know.  Enabling bridging does poke the ethernet hardware slightly
(when enabling promiscuous mode) so that could actually be the problem.
There definatly have been problems with bridging that have been fixed
between now and the 4.2 release so there's a good chance that an upgrade
will make them go away.  As I think I mentioned before, bridging just
isn't used by most people.  VMWare is making is much more popular and
it should become much more solid then before.

-- Brooks

--=20

--3MwIy2ne0vdjdPXF

--3MwIy2ne0vdjdPXF--