Date:      Tue, 7 May 2002 21:46:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Patrick Thomas <root@utility.clubscholarship.com>
To:        Jason Stone <jason@shalott.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: what does a syncookies attack look like ?

> What evidence do you have that you're being attacked?  Is it possible that
> something on the system has just been misconfigured or something and is
> eating up all your resources?

The reason we suspect it is an attack - or at least an outside influence -
is that the crash/hang occurs at exxactly the same time every day.  Of
course the first reaction to that would be "probably a cron job" ...
however we have ruled that out by setting the system time to the time that
it crashes .. at times of the day with analogous (or greater) load than
when it really does crash.  When we artificially set the time to the "zero
hour" nothing happens.

However, when that time comes up in the "real world", the server hangs
like I described.

So, much like you suggested, I was running a once-per minute cron job that
tested the following:

netstat -m >> /tmp/log
ps auxw | wc -l >> /tmp/log
ps auxw >> /tmp/log
vmstat -m >> /tmp/log
vmstat 1 4 >> /tmp/log
pstat -s >> /tmp/log
vmstat -z >> /tmp/log

and there is no interesting output.  Even the output one minute before the
crash is completely uninteresting.  swap usage is _literally_ _zero_.
About 1gig total free memory ... and then 30-60 seconds later, before the
next cron job can run and collect those stats again, it crashes - always
at the exact same time.

Any other metrics I should be looking at besides the ones I have ?

tcpdump on the machine itself and on the firewall reveals nothing
interesting.  Not an interesting level of traffic in terms of transactions
or bandwidth.  We're going crazy here trying to figure it out.  We are
running the very first 4.5-RELEASE, and we have so far only patched the
included sshd, and done the chmod on the `keylink` file or whatever it waw
that was suid root.  Otherwise it is a stock very first release of
4.5-RELEASE.

thanks for any suggestions/help,

PT