Date:      Tue, 8 Sep 2015 22:55:42 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions !!!! <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Storage question

On Tue, 8 Sep 2015 15:40:52 -0453.75, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> On 09/08/15 15:26, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> > "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net> writes:
> >
> >> I'm pretty sure the last few can't be deleted, but what about the
> >> stuff in '/var/backups' & '/rescue' ? I am trying to figure out a
> >> reasonable minimum I can size the root directory & still have safe,
> >> reliable operations. Any clues appreciated. TIA & have a good one.
> > You're worrying about a few tens of megabytes? You must have *really*
> > small disks on these systems. [/rescue takes less than 10MB, and can
> > save you a lot of time in a rescue situation.]
> >

> Not really, & you may be right, much ado about nothing, but I like
> things as efficient as possible.

That's no ado. :-)

> I may be reading wrong, but I think I
> see ~5.3 MiB *per file*, or a few hundred MiB total in /rescue.

You're reading it wrong. :-)

If you try the command

	% ls -li /rescue

then you'll see that all the files have the same inode number,
i. e., they are _the same file_ (hardlinks), so only _one time_
the disk space is allocated - for _one_ file (one binary with
many different names).

> There
> are also those pkg.sql backups, @ about 10 MiB apiece.

Those usually reside in /var, not "directly" on /.

> The reason I ask
> is I have about 12 GiB used total in my root dir & I'm trying to figure
> out where it is all going.

See the important difference between "ls", "du" and "df" output.

> It may be nothing, I wanted to see if I could
> get down to an 8 GiB root partition, but that may be unrealistic.

No, that's entirely possible. Just create different partitions
for all the "other" things that can be left off of / and still
keep things operational.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany