Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 1995 13:59:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        wwong@wiley.csusb.edu (William Wong)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Memory hole size

> Does anyone know what the memory hole size in the BIOS means and if so, how
> it can be used?  There is also an accompanying line that prompts for the
> start address.  I hate when the manuals that come with the motherboards
> don't describe anything about the advanced BIOS parameters.

Depending on the hardware, there will be a memory "hole" between 640k and
1M of 384k.

If your hardware has this "hole", then you can, on some hardware,
"back fill" the hole by taking memory from the top of memory and
remapping its location into the hole.

You should not do this for BSD or for Win95.  You should not do this
for DOS, either, if you are running an extended memory mamanger of any
kind.

This is typically required only by very old DOS programs that use
expanded memory but can't use extended memory.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.