Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 1997 10:00:38 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        mrcpu@cdsnet.net (Jaye Mathisen)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: update question.

> Does update only affect UFS operations?  If I have nfs set to async, will
> update sync it up?

Update syncs dirty buffers for all mounted FS's.

Unless NFS is mounted async (a violation of the RFC's defining the
NFS protocol, for the most part), all ops will be synchronous anyway
so that network outages do not leave implied state indeterminate.

For example, a data file and a seperate index file which indexes
records in the first file must be guaranteed colinear updating
so that the database can be deterministically recovered following
a client or server crash with a trasaction pending.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.