Date:      Sun, 05 Sep 1999 18:48:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff@mountin.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: buildword curiousities

Jeffrey J. Mountin wrote:

> I am aware of this, but it's 17 hops over to cvsup6, 15 to cvsup2 and
> cvsup3, 19 to cvsup5,

Yow.  Time for a new ISP. :-)

> which have become a bit crowded the past month of so
> and cvsup5 was not listed when I last checked.

CVSup5 is the same as cvsup4 currently.

> With bbnplanet (and AT&T) in the path *and* since it happens during
> day mostly I'd rather think it's a network hiccup.

Sounds like it.

>>If it is then it's a problem with your network stack probably.  Try
>>multiplexed mode (the default in CVSup-16.0, which I see you're
>>using).  It's the best all-around mode to use, and it should work in
>>all situations.
>
> I'll change to '-P m' then.

Or remove the "-P" option entirely.  The default in 16.0 is "-P m".

> Where does it store the temp files?  Memory?  Don't recall seeing
> any and don't have the source (only thing I don't compile).

It puts each one in the same directory where the real file will end
up.  Then it uses rename(2) to move it atomically into place after it
has been checked for validity.  There's some code that attempts to
clean up a temp file if you kill the program in the middle.  Usually
it works.

> Next time it happens I'll track down the offending file and check,
> but the last time the corrupted file was installed from CD and
> survived many builds.

If you have a pre-mangled file whose size and timestamp are correct,
CVSup won't check it until the next time it wants to update the file
-- that is, the next time somebody changes it in the repository.  That
could be a long time.

John
---
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron