Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 10:04:46 -0400
From:      "David Nixon" <david.nixon@mantech.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, <luckywolf19@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Security on FreeBSD

--=_653FD818.BFDE8E53

Cool idea.  Lucky for you something like it has already been done but do a =
little research first.

I would first give Marty Reoch a shout.  He might know of a similar =
project underway to point you at or Sourcefire might be developing =
something in the wings.  Sourcefire might be more than happy to include =
your efforts into a project like this.  Why duplicate a currently ongoing =
open source project?  If those don't pan out then do what Steve Jobs does =
and I quote.  "Good inventors create.  Great inventors steal."  NFR has a =
IDS that boots off of CD-Rom.  I have heard two stories that it is based =
on FreeBSD or OpenBSD.  Get your hands on a demo and do some investigating =
into what NFR believes is the very minimal in needed files for a BSD =
flavor server.

Happy hunting,
--David

>>> "Not Going to Tell You" <luckywolf19@hotmail.com> 08/27/01 05:25PM >>>
We would like to have a script written that removes all files not needed =
for=20
a FreeBSD server. Does anyone know a place that has a list of which =
files=20
are associated with which program?

We are trying to build an IDS using SNORT1.8-RELEASE, LINUX emulation, =
and=20
sshd. All other programs that are not needed need to be removed, =
including=20
all manpages.

Thanks,

Lucky Wolf

--=_653FD818.BFDE8E53

<HTML><HEAD>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4616.200" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 8pt Microsoft Sans Serif; MARGIN-LEFT=
: 2px">
<DIV><FONT size=3D1>Cool idea.&nbsp; Lucky for you something like it has =
already=20
been done but do a little research first.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D1>I would first give Marty Reoch a shout.&nbsp; He might =
know of=20
a similar project underway to point you at or Sourcefire might be =
developing=20
something in the wings.&nbsp; Sourcefire might be more than happy to =
include=20
your efforts into a project like this.&nbsp; Why duplicate a currently =
ongoing=20
open source project?&nbsp; </FONT>If those don't pan out then do what =
Steve Jobs=20
does and I quote.&nbsp; "Good inventors create.&nbsp; Great inventors=20
steal."&nbsp; NFR has a IDS that boots off of CD-Rom.&nbsp; I have heard =
two=20
stories that it is based on FreeBSD or OpenBSD.&nbsp; Get your hands on a =
demo=20
and do some investigating into what NFR believes is the very minimal in =
needed=20
files for a BSD flavor server.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Happy hunting,</DIV>
<DIV>--David</DIV>
<DIV><BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; "Not Going to Tell You" &lt;luckywolf19@hotmail.com&g=
t;=20
08/27/01 05:25PM &gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>We would like to have a script written =
that=20
removes all files not needed for <BR>a FreeBSD server. Does anyone know a =
place=20
that has a list of which files <BR>are associated with which program?<BR><B=
R>We=20
are trying to build an IDS using SNORT1.8-RELEASE, LINUX emulation, and=20
<BR>sshd. All other programs that are not needed need to be removed, =
including=20
<BR>all manpages.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Lucky Wolf<BR><BR></DIV></BODY></HT=

--=_653FD818.BFDE8E53--