Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 2003 19:00:41 -0800
From:      "Maksim Yevmenkin" <Maksim.Yevmenkin@cw.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: PPP in -direct mode does not execute any chat scripts

Daniel,

> > So the questions is: would it be possible to enable PPP chat=20
> > in "direct" mode? Is there any reason to not allow this? It
> > seems 'login' script would do just fine. Is there any other/
> > better way to do this? One possible option right now is to
> > execute /bin/chat from the launcher program before executing
> > PPP, but i'd rather keep all chat scripts in PPP.
>=20
> You'd need to add an option to do this - enabling it by default would
> break a lot of stuff (eg I use ppp -direct for incoming PPP calls). If
> -direct *by default* used chat then I would have to change my ppp.conf
> and that would suck :)
>=20
> Perhaps have 'enable usechatindirect' or some such..

i agree, it would break things if the 'default' section in the
ppp.conf has 'set dial foo' and 'set login bar' lines in it
(which is most likely the case) *and* if you use the same ppp.conf
for both dialing out and receiving calls. in order to make things
work people would have to put 'set dial' and 'set login' lines for
the labels used in 'direct' mode.=20

i guess it is better to add the option. back to PPP hacking
then :)

thanks,
max