Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 96 11:09:16 +0200
From:      Ben Stuyts <benst@stuyts.nl>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, ben@stuyts.nl
Subject:   Re: 2.1.5R: UUCP errors, no flow control?

On Mon, 15 Jul 1996, Doug White wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jul 1996, Ben Stuyts wrote:
>
> First of all, I am new to FreeBSD, but am very impressed with what I've seen
> so far. I have a little problem though: I am setting up a system with 2.1.5R,
> and I can't get UUCP to work properly.
>
> There is an external modem (ZyXEL 1496E+) on cuaa1, and I am trying to
> connect with another system through UUCP. Outgoing files go just fine, but
> incoming files give lots of NAK's, checksum errors, etc. I do not see any
> RTS/CTS flow control (I have one of those little RS232 tester on the rs232
> port), so I suspect it must be related to that.
>
> I would suspect your modem isn't set to assert hardware flow control then.
> Adjust your modem as necessary and see if that helps.
>
> Or your cable is incomplete; make sure to get a complete serial cable that
> supports hardware flow control.

The cable is a full 1:1 25p sub-D. I tried another one, and anyway, I can see
all the relevant lights on (green/red) with a little rs232 tester. The modem
should be set up for flow control, but I will check in any case. I think it is
part of the factory settings in ZyXEL's case. But I think it is the computer
that isn't doing flow control, as I can't see neither the RTS nor the CTS
(always confused which is which) toggle during incoming data.

Best regards,
Ben