Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 1999 09:07:20 -0500
From:      Mike Jeays <Mike.Jeays@statcan.ca>
To:        Peter Brevik <pb@ludd.luth.se>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: M$ refund..

In many cases, the computer manufacturer has made a deal with Microsoft
that says they can re-sell MS software with machines at a very
favourable price, but that they MUST provide it with ALL the machines
they sell.  Thus they are breaking their agreement if they sell machines
without.  The alternative is to go to small clone-makers, who often
provide excellent service and assemble reliable machines to order - with
or without MS products.

One enterprising individual in Australia actually managed to get his
money back!  See below for more details.

Australian Linux user gets Windows Refund

 Australian Linux user gets Windows Refund
 Posted by sengan on Monday January 18, @03:38PM
 from the that-EULA-can-be-useful dept.
 freejack writes "Here's an incredible story of how one Linux
 user got his money back for the Windows pre-installed on the
 laptop he bought. He used the fact the Microsoft Software License
 Agreement allows you to return the software if you do not agree to its
 terms."

and, the how-to-do-it kit is at:

http://www.netcraft.com.au/geoffrey/toshiba.html