Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 2004 06:30:22 GMT
From:      Sergei Kolobov <sergei@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-qa@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/47451: 5.0 GENERIC(sysinstall CD) locks during boot onProliant ML530

The following reply was made to PR kern/47451; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Sergei Kolobov <sergei@FreeBSD.org>
To: John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: freebsd-qa@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:20:59 +0400

 On 2004-08-18 at 15:33 -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
 > On Wednesday 18 August 2004 12:10 pm, Sergei Kolobov wrote:
 > >  uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> port 0-0x1f at device
 > > 20.2 on pci0 pcib0: unable to route slot 20 INTD
 > >  uhci0: Could not allocate irq
 > >  device_probe_and_attach: uhci0 attach returned 6
 >
 > This might be indicative of the problem.  Can you try the following tweaks to
 > the BIOS setup:
 >
 > 1) Ensure that PnP OS is set to "no"

 The closest equivalent I could find for this is "Primary Operating
 System: Other". Remember - this is Compaq hardware, and they have
 nothing even distantly resembling "normal" Award/Phoenix BIOS.
 Instead, you have to use that (EISA) System Configuration Utility
 from the System Partition or SmartStart CD-ROM.

 > 2) If there are settings related to the MPTable that say something like "full
 > table" or "shortened table" try using the "full table" option.

 Nothing like that was found.

 > 3) Enable USB in the BIOS if it is disabled.

 There no USB-related option at all. In fact, there are *NO* USB ports
 in this server (it is circa '98-99). Isn't it funny the kernel found
 some USB controller, is it?

 Believe it or not, but I was finally able to install 5.2.1 on this
 hardware. After you mentioned that USB might be causing this,
 I have compiled a custom kernel on another 5.x machine (which happened
 to be my laptop running a recent -CURRENT) and put it on the kernel
 floppy, replacing GENERIC in kernel.gz. Voila - it booted without
 a problem, and I was able to use sysinstall on regular console (as
 opposed to serial console I had to use to capture the previous boot
 log).

 What I still do not understand - why then it would boot the same GENERIC
 kernel without a problem when the system was already installed?
 What is the difference between the boot process for install CD/floppy
 and the installed system?

 Sergei