Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 1995 02:14:47 +0000
From:      "Mike O'Brien" <obrien@leonardo.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Demand dial with IIJ PPP - ANSWER! (P.S.)

	I forgot to include my /etc/ppp.linkup file in my last message,
and I have a feeling it may just be important.  It is:

pmdemand:
 delete ALL
 add 0 0 HISADDR

	I believe that this has the effect of cancelling the "prototype"
routes set up when PPP initializes itself and the tunnel interface, and
replacing them with a more correct route.  This route does not seem to
expire even when all net connections close; the refcnt stays at 1,
probably due to the PPP process itself.  Although a different address may
be assigned when PPP redials, this route serves its final purpose of
routing packets to the PPP process, reawakening it.  When the connection
is reestablished, reexecution of the ppp.linkup file will delete the
old route and install a new, correct one.

	I confess I haven't tried getting rid of this ppp.linkup file to
see if the world breaks.  Right now I'd rather not.

Mike O'Brien