Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2013 09:20:46 +0100 (BST)
From:      Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bris.ac.uk>
To:        chris@uminac.com, sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Cc:        mexas@bristol.ac.uk, freebsd-fortran@freebsd.org

	From sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu Wed Jul 10 00:33:37 2013

	On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 07:24:12PM -0400, Christopher J. Umina wrote:
	> Fortran is pretty much a standard in the scientific world and I for
	> one have been quite upset about the fact that I'm constantly forced
	> away from FreeBSD for such things. Needless to say I was quite
	> surprised that a list was created specifically for Fortran discussion,
	> but I'm also very excited to see the level of interest in the
	> community.

	Please, don't top-post, it looses context.  In fact, I've
	deleted all of the previous context. :-)

	Not sure why you're forced away from FreeBSD because of
	Fortran.  gfortran has been a part of GCC since 2005.
	Although the first year or two of gfortran's life saw a
	large number of bugsi and patches, since gcc 4.4,x ori
	4.5.x, she's been a very good compiler.

Right now I need coarrays, so I have to use other compilers
on linux.

But a compiler alone is not enough.
I need a complete tightly integrated fortran
environment, with libraries and applications.
Many libs/apps available on linux are not
in ports yet. One example is Trilinos,
http://trilinos.sandia.gov/packages/fortrilinos/.
I think bf@ has been working on a port.
But there are more, I just can't think of
any at the moment.

Then there are things like legacy code.
For example, I myself maintain math/slatec,
which is 1980-1990 fortran 77 library
with over 1400 subroutines.
I found this library useful at some point.
But the code is old and completely unmaintained,
perhaps there are better newer alternatives.
Should it stay in ports for now?

Anton