Date:      Thu, 02 Oct 1997 21:32:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Greg Pavelcak <gpavelcak@philos.umass.edu>
To:        Invis <invis@visi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How much work does running -current take?

On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Invis wrote:
> 	Just a few questions before I dive into -current, that didn't seem 100% answered
> by the FAQ :) :

I can only tell you my experience. I am not a FreeBSD, or any kind of
computer expert. In fact, if you see the questions I post, you know I
am quite the opposite. I did dive into -current last week.

> 	1. If I install -current, will I have to do 'make worlds' or other 6 hour CPU
> 	   tasks often?

I run a Cyrix 6x86 P200+ with 48MB RAM. I think my "make world" was
about 3 1/2 hrs. I had to do it several times, but that wasn't because
of the make world, it was because I didn't mount the partitions
properly in single user mode so I couldn't do the merge/copy stuff.
Once I got that sorted out all went smoothly. If you want to upgrade
regularly, I don't know if you have to rebuild the whole thing every
time, but I think that's discussed in the handbook or the upgrade
tutorial at www.freebsd.org

> 	2. Will my system more often than not be able to boot and run most of the time?
> 	   i.e. I have one computer, I don't mind constant reboots, even making my own
> 	   code patches if necessary, but if this is something it's almost necessary
>            to have two machines for, please tell me!

For the past week I have been customizing my window manager, trying to
set up a zip drive and trying to use my -current machine to install
2.2.2-RELEASE on to my laptop. I have built several kernels and
re-booted many times, but not because some difficulty forced me to.
Of course I'm just running my own PC, not a server or anything, so I probably
don't really test the limits.

> 	3. Where can I get a list of new features available in 3.0-current ??

Don't know. Being on the -current mailing list is a good place to
start.