Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 23:52:19 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Chris Coleman <chrisc@vmunix.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Not booting after install.

> > > Well, it didn't give a specific failure...  I guess these messages popped
> > > up.
> > >
> > >    Boot:
> > > 	empty partition:
> > > 	 Can't find kernel.
> >
> > This sure as hell isn't "can't mount root".
> >
> > This means that BIOS disk 0x80 is not sd0, ie. your BIOS probes your
> > SCSI controllers in a different order to FreeBSD.  This is because
> > someone thought it would be better to do their own PCI enumeration
> > rather than use the BIOS.  8(
> >
> Any way of fixing this?

The "best" way is to disable BIOS support on all the cards except for
the one that's providing your boot device, and making sure that this is
the controller probed first by FreeBSD.

It's actually also possible that the above has come from having more
than one FreeBSD slice on a disk; without knowing more about your
setup, it's hard to be certain.