Date:      Mon, 01 Sep 2003 23:45:32 -0500
From:      Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ideas for showing off Gnome on FreeBSD?

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 00:32:39 -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke
<marcus@marcuscom.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 00:26, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
>> On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 19:35:10 -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke
>> <marcus@marcuscom.com> wrote:

>> any
>> >
>> > AbiWord2 is nearing its stable 2.0 release.  Gucharmap is also a nice
>> > bit of eye-candy (looks like OS X's character map application).
>> > Rhythmbox is a nice GNOME 2 MP3/Ogg player built on gstreamer.
>> Whatever
>> > you do, stay away from gnomesystemmonitor (doesn't work really well
>> with
>> > FreeBSD [yet]).  I hear the GKrellM stuff is good.
>> >
>> > The wireless applet in GNOME 2 works on FreeBSD as does
>> > net/netspeed_applet.  Epiphany, Galeon, and Mozilla-Firebird look nice
>> > on FreeBSD.  Gimp-devel is the GTK 2 version of Gimp, and it looks
>> very
>> > nice.  I would also show off MrProject as a nice prihect management
>> tool
>> > with a gantt interface.  Totem plays video streams and DVDs nicely.
>> > Evolution is working, and makes for a nice demo.  I would also show
>> off
>> > news/pan2 if you get a chance.  It's been praised as one of the best
>> > looking and feeling GUIs out there.  Also, deskutils/gdeskcal is
>> nothing
>> > but eye candy (too bad gDesklets aren't ported yet :-().  Gaim is a
>> nice
>>
>> I have gDesklets 0.20 port in my local and it works great, but only one
>> or
>> two plugins that are working. The rest of them aren't working and I am
>> still trying to figure how I can get them work. gDesklets will be
>> useless
>> without those plugins, so should I go ahead send it to PR and worry
>> about
>> plugins later? Or, should I just wait until I get most plugins work?
>> Current, I only can get clock and digital plugins work fine, but haven't
>> create the port of those yet.
>
> What's the problem with the other plug-ins?  I would like to see at
> least the framework ported so others can get a chance to add plug-ins.

Ok, I will go ahead send to PR what I have it right now without the menu,
then update the better one later with menu and few plugins.

The problem is that.. StarterBar (a major eye candy of panel) will not
work, because it keeps read the wrong path
'/usr/X11R6/bin/../share/pixmaps/gnome-unknown.png' and I can't figure out
where the path is in the script to allow me change it. And others just
don't work and I have no idea how to explain, like weather (I know, it
needs wget) will not work without output the error.

I have an idea, I will create a new thread in the -gnome (or/and -port?)
with list of problems. Then, someone can help if they know the Python and
how to solve it.

Cheers,
Mezz

--