Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2001 00:35:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Sykes <matt-sykes@excite.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel SMP timer bug persists

kernel: 4.4-STABLE
motherboard: P2L97-DS (dual PII 300MHZ)

top and ps give 0.00% cpu usage for all processes.

cvsupping didn't help.

LINT config file says

# Notes on APM
#  The flags takes the following meaning for apm0:
#    0x0020  Statclock is broken.
#  If apm is omitted, some systems require sysctl -w
kern.timecounter.method=1
#  for correct timekeeping.

but all combinations of setting apm on/off and
setting timecounter.method on/off do not correct
the problem (I reboot into single-user for
sysctl then reboot again to be sure).

Been talked about in google some, but no resolution
from what I've seen.  There is a patch mentioned,
but I am hoping for something less ad hoc;
why wouldn't the patch appear from cvsup?

Please CC my email if you reply.

Thanks.